Saturday, March 22, 2008

Min's Irish Lamb Stew

Just for the record, virtually all of my ancestors are Irish. So I believe that gives me the right to call whatever I create "Irish." You know, because I'm Irish, and I created it, therefore, it's Irish. Incidentally, two different friends who have been to Ireland have told me that I look like the majority of Irish people. Marlow even told me she swore she saw me over there! But alas, I was here. She must have seen my evil Irish twin or something...

So, after searching in vain for a recipe for Irish Lamb Stew for Easter for which we had every ingredient or that wasn't something like "boil lamb with potatoes and carrots," I decided to create my own. I haven't even tasted it yet, but I know it will be fabulous and you will love it. I made it a day in advance to allow the flavors to develop. We will have it tomorrow for Easter dinner.


Irish Lamb Stew

Olive oil
1/4 to 1/3 package bacon (just cut about three or four 1/2-inch slices from the short side of a package of sliced bacon, and it will be the right size)
1 pound lamb (stew meat or bite-sized chunks)--feel free to substitute beef
1/4 cup flour
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4 potatoes, peeled and diced
2/3 cup white wine
1 cup frozen peas
4 cups beef broth (or equivalent water + beef bouillon cubes)
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon marjoram leaves
Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat about 1 to 2 Tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven pan. Add bacon, and cook and stir until starting to brown, add onions, stirring. Add lamb and flour to a resealable plastic bag, shake to coat, and add lamb to pan with bacon and onions. Stir to brown lamb, then add garlic and stir.

Add carrots and potatoes, and stir. Add white wine, stir to combine. Add peas, broth, thyme and marjoram. You can add some salt and pepper at this point, but don't overdo it.

Heat to boiling, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and carrots are tender. (add more broth if necessary) Cool and refrigerate overnight in Dutch oven pan. Heat through before serving, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with crusty bread.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin