Sunday, March 9, 2008

Chicken Cacciatore with Shiitake

I wish I had a picture to show you, but I forgot to take one. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the wine tonight. This recipe is off the back of the package of dried shiitake mushroom slices we got at Costco, for about $4. It's a huge bag, and this is a delicious recipe. We ate it with a nice Smoking Loon Merlot followed by an even nicer Merlot from Black Mountain, and some pasta of some sort. (I also had an excellent glass of Foley Syrah, but it was the last one. I didn't mention it, except to you. Shhhh.)

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
3-3 1/2 pounds of chicken pieces, skin removed (I used boneless skinless thighs, it's what I had)
1 medium-size onion, chopped
2 green peppers, seeded and chopped (I used red and a little yellow)
2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons chopped parsley (I used 2 heaping teaspoons dried)
1 cup water
1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth (I used wine, of course)
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 can (8 oz. tomato sauce (I substituted 1/4 + 1/8 cups tomato paste plus 1/2 cup water)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. EACH marjoram, oregano, and thyme leaves
4 cups Dried Shiitake-Ya Slices

1. Heat oil and butter in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, until browned on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside.

2. Add onion, green peppers, and garlic to pan. Cook over medium heat and stir until onion is soft. (H-Bomb and Sawed Off helped with this part)

3. Stir in parsley, water, wine, tomato paste, tomato sauce, salt, spices, and Shiitake slices. (and also with this part. They are the cutest little chefs you've ever seen)

4. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until meat is no longer pink (about 45 minutes)

5. Serve over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. (forgot the cheese; no one seemed to mind)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin