Friday, March 7, 2008

Bread Sticks




I thought you might enjoy a very easy and delicious recipe for Bread Sticks. I just made a double batch of these for a church group of 19-30 year old kids. I doubled the recipe thinking we would have some left over for our family. Boy was I wrong, they ate up 4 large pans of these things along a basic tomato sauce for dipping in a matter of minutes. I was smart, I tasted a couple as they came out of the oven to make sure they were good, but my husband didn't get a one, poor baby!

Dissolve 2 TBL yeast in 3 cups warm water in a large bowl (or bread mixer or Kitchen Aid mixer bowl)
Add the following: 4 TBL melted butter, 2 TBL sugar or honey, 1 TBL salt and about 4 cups flour.
Mix well, then add about 4 more cups of flour. Mix well about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest.
*Punch down every 10 minutes ---5-6 times.
Then roll out and cut into strips. I roll it out about 1/2 thick and use a pizza cutter to quickly cut it into strips. Dip each strip in melted butter (about 1/2 cup) and roll in Parmesan Cheese and parsley (as much as you like). Place on baking sheet (if you line it with foil clean up will be a breeze) Let rise about 30 minutes. Bake 350 for about 15 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
I usually do it this way but if you are in a hurry you can also divide dough in half and place in a well buttered baking pan (9X13) pat it out into the pan. Take a knife or bench scrapper and cut into desired sized strips. Then pour melted butter (about 1/4 cup per pan) over dough and then sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Let rise about 30 minutes. Bake 350 for about 15 minutes or until lightly brown on top.Then after baking take your knife again and cut apart where you had made the cuts.
The picture is the quick way in 9x13 pan.

3 comments:

Min said...

Oooh. You've done it again. I want some of these!!! Yum. They're next on my list, for sure.

Sunshinemom said...

I saw this at Divya's kitchen. Very tasty looking sticks!

Min said...

Thanks for stopping by, sunshinemom! Reddquilter makes the best breadsticks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin