This makes a small batch of scones, so feel free to double the recipe. It is a good recipe for a beginning cook, but be sure not to overwork the dough, creating tough scones.
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup cold butter
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten and divided
¼ cup dried cranberries
½ teaspoon coarse sugar
1. In small bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In another small bowl, combine milk and 2 tablespoons of beaten egg.
4. Add egg–milk mixture to crumb mixture and stir just until moistened.
5. Stir in cranberries.
6. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; knead gently six to eight times.
7. Pat dough into 6-inch circle. Then cut into four wedges.
8. Place wedges on lightly buttered baking sheet. Brush unbaked scones with remaining egg, and then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
9. Bake in 425°F. oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
NOTE: The dough should be rather dry; baked scones will be fine.
May cut into smaller pieces and bake for 12 minutes.
May add white chocolate chips or chopped pecans.