Monday, August 13, 2012

Baked Donut Holes

Last month, I joined the The Secret Recipe Club.   It is a secret blog assignment, where you are set off into another foodie's blog alone, and no one else is supposed to know.  Someone else all together gets to peruse your blog.  We'll all find out who had which blog on the same day and time.

Without further ado, my assignment for the Secret Recipe Club this month was:

It's Yummy To My Tummy!

In perusing this new-to-me blog, the first recipe that caught my eye was Bacon & Sundried Tomato Guacamole.  I believe I will try this recipe at some point. 
But I kept coming back to the Baked Donuts.  I do have a donut pan, which I have not yet used, but as luck would have it, it wasn't at this house at the particular time I decided it was "time to make the donuts."  The donut pan languishes, unused and shiny (although probably a bit dusty by now) at the ranch.  

However, I had recently purchased a Bella Cake Pop & Donut Hole Maker for my son's Angry Birds birthday party, and that was right here where I needed it!  (the one I have is similar to this one, although I purchased mine at Target and it actually makes 12 at a time)

I didn't have the ingredients for Heather's chocolate or vanilla glazes, so I opted for a cinnamon sugar topping, which was delicious!  I also didn't have cake flour or nutmeg, but regular flour and cinnamon work just fine.  To see the original recipe and the yummy glaze recipes, please follow this link!  

These are easy to whip up and everyone loved them!


Baked Donut Holes
Adapted from  It's Yummy To My Tummy!
makes about 48, I think, we ate them pretty fast!

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup buttermilk (a big splash of lemon juice + enough milk to total 3/4 cup)

1/2 stick butter, melted
sugar mixed with cinnamon (I never measure, but I'd guess at least a 1/2 cup sugar and a teaspoon or two of cinnamon?  just mix and add more until it looks/tastes right)


In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Add eggs, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and buttermilk. Mix until just combined.

Preheat the donut hole maker.  Fill and cook as directed, mine took about 5 minutes per batch.  Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a bowl.  In a pie plate, mix sugar and cinnamon.

As each batch comes out, coat the donuts with melted butter and then swirl around in cinnamon sugar until coated.  I put about 6 donut holes at a time in the butter bowl, then transfer to the pie plate to coat.  If you don't use butter, the cinnamon sugar just won't stick.


I will definitely be making these again!  Enjoy!


Secret Recipe Club

15 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

donuts look wonderful

Miz Helen said...

Hi Min,
Welcome to the SRC! Your Baked Donut Holes look awesome, we will just love them. A great choice for the SRC, hope you are having a great day.
Miz Helen
Group B SRC

Louisa [Living Lou] said...

I love donuts way too much so these Baked Donut Holes are right up my alley! Will have to give these a try. Great choice for this months SRC!

Heather said...

Welcome to the Secret Recipe Club! Thanks for featuring my baked donuts! Your donuts look great!

Hezzi-D said...

I freaking love donuts and these donut holes look fabulous!

Unknown said...

Welcome to the club. This is a great first post. Donut holes are the best :)

Myvegfare said...

Welcome to SRC, delicious looking donuts, they look so cute and yummy

Unknown said...

i keep meaning to get a doughnut pan. but i fear if i do i might just make stuff like this all the time... hello, fat pants, my name is doughnut lady. haha.

...that being said, i seriously clicked on your thumbnail so quickly it was like i was just snatching up the last doughnut hole. i can't control myself around those things!!

happy src reveal from a group D member!

Julie said...

These look delicious! I'd love a couple with my coffee tomorrow am. Visiting from SRC!

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

Your donut holes look totally professional and delicious. Welcome to SRC.

Camille said...

Yum! I have two brand new donut pans begging to be used. Welcome to SRC!

Unknown said...

mmm...donuts. Yum! Great choice for SRC

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food said...

Such a great SRC pick! Mmmmmmm yummy :) I just left you a comment on your chocolate chip zucchini bread post -- you were my secret blogger to search through!

Min said...

Thanks everyone! I think I'll make these again this weekend...so good!

Unknown said...

These look very similar to what we made for SRC and I bet they tasted amazing - I really, really like the way your donut-hole pan formed them. Very cool!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin