Monday, December 22, 2008

Popcorn Balls

This is one of my favorite recipes from childhood. I don't remember ever helping to make them, but I do remember arriving at my grandma's house, where she had piles of colorful popcorn balls, individually wrapped in plastic and ribbons, just waiting for us kids to devour! I love these things. I am going to make some this year with my boys, and you should share them with your children too. The memories will last a lifetime!

Thanks for the recipe, Grandma!

{picture coming soon!}

Popcorn Balls

Makes about 16 balls.

8 cups popped corn (about 1/2 cup unpopped)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
food coloring

Measure popped corn into large bowl. Combine sugar, corn syrup,water, vinegar & salt in a 2 quart saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring constantly to 260 degrees on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball. Reduce heat to low, stir in butter and food coloring, stirring until butter is melted. Pour over popcorn in bowl, stirring until corn is well covered.

Butter hands and shape into 3 inch balls and place on waxed paper.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin