Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Min's Fast, I mean FAST, Smothered Chicken

Lately I can't seem to get it together to have plans for dinner. I guess Bad Girls have off-days too. Could be the to-the-minute Thanksgiving planning (for more than a week ahead of time) that wore me out...anyway. This is what happened.

Tonight, I really wanted to make my beloved Pechugas de Pollo con Rajas. But I waited just a bit too long and ran out of time. The last-minute search was on. I have been looking at Shell's Smothered Chicken recipe for months now. Honestly, she posted it in June! You'd think I could have tried it by now.

Shell's recipe is for a slow cooker. Obviously, I didn't have that kind of time since it was already 5:15pm. But, I had everything for this recipe except mushrooms, so I went for it. We have a small family, so I just pulled 2 large chicken breasts out of the freezer and thawed them a bit in the microwave. I diced them to bite-sized pieces, and it was just the right amount. A batch of Minute Rice, and we had dinner.

It was fast, easy and delicious. And on the table by 6:pm. What more could you ask for? With mushrooms and/or zucchini it would have been perfect. Thanks Shell!

Now, if I could just figure out something for tomorrow...


Min's Fast, I mean FAST, Smothered Chicken
Adapted from Shell's Smothered Chicken
Serves 4

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large or 2 small onions, sliced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (would have been ideal)
1 small zucchini, diced (optional, I think it would be good)
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 can baby corn, drained
2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 can milk
salt and pepper to taste
thyme to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions, mushrooms and zucchini, if using, and saute for about 5 minutes or so while you dice the chicken. Add chicken, and cook until done. Add baby corn, soup and milk, salt, pepper and thyme, and simmer gently for 5 or 10 minutes until heated through. Serve with rice. That's all.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin