Friday, July 18, 2008

Founder Mix


This recipe comes from Number One's family cookbook. It is attributed to one of his cousins. They call it "founder" mix because they have "foundered" on it several times, meaning, "to become ill from overeating."

When this is around, it is seriously all I can do to not eat it all, all of it, all day long. Yesterday, it was all I could do to walk past the Chex cereals so I wouldn't make a whole batch and eat it all by myself. Today, I sent my husband to the store with a list of cereals. And what do you know, with cereals he returned. Every time I walk by the founder mix, I eat a bite or two. Heaven.

You can store it in a large ziploc bag, making it handy for traveling/hiking/horseback riding too.

Founder Mix

In a large bowl, combine approximately 3 cups EACH of:

Rice Chex
Corn Chex
Golden Grahams

Of the following "Optional" ingredients, I always include slivered almonds, coconut, and chopped cashews. (at least a cup of each, or more) Mix in with your cereal.

Optional:
slivered almonds (about 8 oz)
coconut (about 2 cups raw unsweetened, if you can find it. sweetened flakes if not)
cashews (about 1 cup chopped)
sunflower seeds
peanuts

In a saucepan, heat the following:

1 cup Karo (corn syrup)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter (can be reduced to 1 stick, but why??)

Bring to boiling and boil for 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour over cereal mixture and mix well.


The recipe doesn't say this, but I turn out my founder mix onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets to let it set up a bit. If you can wait that long. Then I store it in a ziploc bag. If you have any left to store. Go make some now. And be sure to send me a small sample, just so I can know you've mastered the recipe...

6 comments:

Dee said...

This sounds really good. I am trying to lay off the flour and sugar right now so I won't be eating it, but I could have some around for my family when they come to visit. Hmmm... do you think I would be able to resist it?

Min said...

No. I do not think you would be able to resist it. One bite is all it takes. But if you have lots of family around, it will go quickly. Your call. And good luck!

Ginny’s Lazy B Ranch said...

This recipe sounds real good!! I think I will make some this week. It would be great to take to the lake. Do you have to use real butter, or can you use margarine in the stick form? Thanx

Min said...

I am partial to real butter. You can reduce it to one stick. I don't know about "the m-word," if you're used to the (lack of) flavor, it might be fine. =) If you try it, let us know how it works. That is one variation I won't be convinced to try!

This stuff is addictive...

Becky said...

We love this! We call it the sweet chex mix, but when the Redd Cookbook came out, we loved the name, "Founder Mix". Wish we had made some for our trip to "Summer Camp" in Colorado. Had a grand time with our grandsons from Delaware, but we should have had some "Founder Mix" to munch on. Oh, by the way, you really must use butter!

Cheryl said...

After getting the recipe from you I made it for the family Christmas. Didn't have any left! It was a hit & you know what picky eaters we have!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin