Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Classic Baked Beans

I'm almost certain that this baked bean recipe, handwritten on a scrap of paper by me, is the one I got from the grocery store deli I worked at eons ago. The baked beans they/we/I sold in the deli. The baked beans I ate frequently. The baked beans I used to love. I hope.

I'm making a double batch of them today, and I will report back as soon as I taste a spoonful. Or bowlful, whatever the case may be. These beans have returned rave reviews all around; I believe they are the beans from my past...

*I have a little note on the recipe about quantities for a double batch; see below.

Also, I've had success freezing other pinto bean recipes, so I'm sure you could freeze these as well. I'm going to refrigerate mine for a couple days, and reheat in the oven to serve at H-Bomb's birthday party. (he said he doesn't think he will want beans, "but other people at my party might want to eat beans." Isn't he thoughtful?)


Classic Baked Beans
8 servings

2 cups beans (I'm using pinto beans today)
1/4 pound salt pork, sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons molasses

Wash and sort beans; place in large pot, add 1 1/2 quarts cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Add salt pork, return to heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid.

To liquid, add brown sugar, salt, dry mustard and molasses, mix well.

Alternate beans and pork in a large casserole dish, add sugar mixture. Cover and bake at 300 degrees F for 5 or 6 hours. If necessary, add more water during cooking.

*Double batch:
4 cups beans
Reserve 6 cups liquid
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon molasses

This left me with a bit extra liquid, but I figure I can save it in the fridge, and add it if needed prior to reheating on Saturday!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin