Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Carrot Salad


This is an old recipe that came from my grandma, who died when I was eight. I don't remember eating it before, but it's quite possible I did. My husband came home with 5 pounds of carrots the other day ("you asked for a big bag"), so I decided to make it. I did double the amount of carrots and reduce the sugar. The carrots macerate in the liquid, so be sure to prepare this dish several hours ahead.

This carrot salad is delicious and refreshing, served cold. We had it as a side dish with lasagna, it goes well with savory dishes. Here are some of the comments from the ranch dinner tonight: "These carrots are so yummy and refreshing." "It does taste old-fashion-y." "So good."

See for yourself. Enjoy.

Carrot Salad

2 cups grated carrots (I used 4 cups, about 6 large carrots)
1 cup sugar (I used about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix ingredients well; cover and refrigerate. Let stand in refrigerator, stirring occasionally, several hours before serving. Add small marshmallows for variety. (I didn't add anything, but I think golden raisins would be a good addition).

3 comments:

Leah Q. said...

Your carrot salad sounds super interesting - I always love hearing about the history of a recipe... my mother used raisins in her salad, which created a nice chew factor.

And btw, tried to contact you before, I have been trying to fix my comment section on my dinner and jam blog - sorry you had problems.... but I did approve of your recent post though! Happy cooking and sharing, looking forward to seeing more!
Leah

Cheryl said...

If I remember right Grandma, also, added raisins to her carrot salad occasionally. Need to make it for Dad.

Padmajha said...

Hi Min, made this for T and C.Loved it .It was very refreshing :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin