Friday, November 13, 2009

Lamb You Can Eat with a Spoon

We had a lamb roast in the freezer we needed to eat. We usually make our fabulous Lamb Tacos, but it's not the weekend yet and I just didn't feel like I had the time. I was looking through some of my slow cooking cookbooks, and ran across this recipe in Slow Cooker Cooking by Lora Brody. I was excited that I'd finally be able to use my precious jar of herbes de Provence!

As I was reading through, and looking at the clock, I knew this meal wouldn't be ready until tomorrow. There are actually two recipes in one, the lamb and then the side dish of Flageolet beans with rosemary, so it definitely takes a long time. I went ahead with it, so tomorrow's dinner will just need a quick reheat after I make the beans.

It doesn't take long to put together, and it smells really good. I love shallots, and the wine mixture smelled great too. I can't wait to taste this.

Note: This is most definitely NOT a fast recipe. You need to plan ahead, get up early, or even prepare the dish for tomorrow's dinner. The lamb itself takes 10 to 12 hours, and if you're making the beans too, add another 2 to 6 hours on top of that!

While I wouldn't say you can eat "with a spoon," this lamb is delicious! I cooked it for just over 10 hours, then stuck the crock pot insert in the fridge until morning. I heated the pot on the "warm" setting for a couple hours while I ran H-Bomb to school, and when I got home I proceeded with slicing the meat and starting the beans.

The beans are another story. Let's just say dinner is over and we didn't eat beans with it. You can read about them here.

The lamb reheated in the oven beautifully. I completely forgot to take a picture. I'm blaming it on the beans.

Lamb You Can Eat with a Spoon

Yield: 8 servings
Cooking time: 10 to 12 hours on LOW

Slow Cooker Size: 5 1/2 to 6-quart oval

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 shallots, peeled and minced
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 (6-pound) shoulder of lamb, boned and rolled (4 to 5 pounds after boning) *I just used a lamb roast we had, and left the bone in*
10 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered lengthwise to form 40 slivers
1 tablespoon dried herbes de Provence (see Note)

Flageolets with Fresh Rosemary, optional

Heat the oil in a small saute pan over medium heat and saute the shallots until softened. Scrape them into the insert of the slow cooker.

Strew the carrots in the insert with the shallots. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together brown sugar, vinegar, broth, wine, mustard, and soy sauce, and then pour the mixture over the carrots.

Use a small sharp knife to make tiny slits all over the surface of the lamb. Insert a sliver of garlic into each one. Place the meat in the slow cooker and sprinkle with the herbes de Provence. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours, or until the meat is extremely tender.

Transfer the meat to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch slices. Transfer the slices to an oven-proof serving platter. If you are not making the beans, simply serve the lamb. If you are making the beans, cover the lamb on the platter with foil and refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours while you prepare the Flageolets with Fresh Rosemary. Use the vegetable solids and cooking liquid in the slow cooker to make them.

When ready to serve, reheat the lamb. If you haven't already done so, place the lamb on an ovenproof platter, cover with aluminum foil, and place in a preheated 250 degree F oven for 30 minutes. For each serving, spoon some beans and their cooking liquid onto a dinner plate and top with slices of lamb.

Note: If you cannot find herbes de Provence, you can make your own by combining equal amounts of dried tarragon, rosemary, chervil, basil and thyme.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin