Friday, November 13, 2009

Flageolets with Fresh Rosemary

Flageolets are small, white kidney beans that I can't find here. I substituted Great Northern beans. This dish is an accompaniment to Lamb You Can Eat with a Spoon, and indeed is cooked in the cooking juices from that lamb, after the lamb is done.

I have to tell you, this dish didn't work out for me. It could be that I used more than the 12 ounces of beans, because I didn't want just a few beans left in the bag. Turns out that "just a few" beans is about 6 ounces, which I honestly didn't realize when I dumped them in. I'm sure if I had simply added more beef broth, it would have turned out fine, but I didn't. When I put the lid on the slow cooker, the liquid was indeed covering the beans, so I didn't think anything of it. Five hours later, the beans were just about dry and definitely not cooked. I added a couple cans of beef broth to the cooker, and cooked the beans more.

We ate our Lamb without beans tonight. And they still aren't done, but I am posting this anyway.

Report: I lost track how long the beans actually cooked. After the first FIVE hours on LOW, I added a can and a half of beef broth, and cooked the beans on HIGH. I forget how long they cooked, but at the end of Saturday, after I had added yet another can of beef broth, the beans were Still Not Done. It's been cold outside, and thus in the garage, so I just stuck the crockpot out there for the night. (If we had electricity during the night, I would have just left them cooking. But we don't). I retrieved the beans on Sunday morning, turned the crockpot back on LOW this time, and let them cook all day long. I added a few cups of water during the day too. By Sunday night, the beans were FINALLY DONE. I have no idea what the problem was, since the exact same slow coooker had just beautifully and perfectly cooked a lamb roast on Friday.

The beans do taste good, so in theory I can recommend this dish. However, I have absolutely no idea how long this will take. Do tell if you decide to take the risk and make them, how it all turns out for you. Just be forewarned, and don't plan on serving this particular dish on a specific night, say when you're having company. I wouldn't want everyone to be disappointed...

Flageolets with Fresh Rosemary
Yield: 6 servings
Cooking time: 5 to 6 hours on LOW or 2 to 3 hours on HIGH

Cooking juices and solids from Lamb You Can Eat with a Spoon
12 ounces dried flageolet or great Northern beans, rinsed, drained and picked over to remove any bits of dirt and debris
2 heaping tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Low-sodium beef broth, if necessary

To the lamb cooking juices in the slow cooker insert, add the beans, rosemary, salt and pepper. Add beef broth, if necessary, so that the liquid covers the beans. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours, until the beans are tender but have not lost their shape. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

Serve with Lamb You Can Eat with a Spoon.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin