Friday, November 13, 2009

Gina's Plum Cake

We were so happy Aunt Gina (and everyone else!) was able to join us for our Housewarming Extravaganza! (And YES, I am still posting recipes! Narrowing it down, I'm telling you it was a tremendously delicious spread!)

The special thing about Aunt Gina? She brought this exquisite plum cake! She asked if she could bring it, and of course I said yes. I'm so happy, because that plum cake, made with one little Italian plum half on each scrumptious piece, was perfect. I am in love. The cake is just the right density, not too sweet, and the plums were a nice, slightly tart contrast.



I do have
a confession to make: I, alone, ate all of the plum cake that was left after the party. I did it. It was me. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Thank you so much, Aunt Gina! We love you!

Now the rest of you go make this cake this instant! Look how gorgeous those perfectly-sized squares are! The ultimate finger food, I'm telling you.



Plum (or Prune or Apple) Cake

½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
1-2 eggs
3 cups flour
grated lemon peel
1 tsp. baking powder
milk as needed ( ¼ to 1/3 cup)

Cream butter and sugar together, add eggs and beat well. Add remaining ingredients. Press into 9x13 inch pan. Top with halved Italian plums or sliced apples. Top with the Streusel topping and bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes.

Note: 1 ½ times recipe for a jelly roll pan.

Streusel Topping

½ cup butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar

Cut butter into flour and sugar.

Note: I usually make ½ the streusel topping, to cut down on the fat.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin