Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Oatmeal Scotchies


These cookies are one of my favorites; crispy and chewy and wholesome-tasting. My grandma always used to make them for me, and still occasionally makes them when I see her. She lives far away, otherwise I'm sure she would bake me cookies whenever I asked. (And since I moved away, sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised by a box of cookies in the mail). I love my grandma! I finally got the recipe from her again this summer, to include in our family cookbook.

So when butterscotch chips were on sale last week, I immediately thought of Grandma, and these cookies. Even though the only oats I have today are old-fashioned, not quick-cooking, I am making the cookies. They are delicious, just like Grandma makes.



Oatmeal Scotchies
Makes about 48 3-inch cookies or 30 4 1/2-inch cookies.


2 cups unsifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon water
1 ½ cups quick oats, uncooked
One 12-ounce package (2 cups) butterscotch chips
½ teaspoon orange extract or vanilla

Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, eggs and water; beat until creamy. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in oats, chips and extract. Drop by slightly rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.

Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit on pan for a minute or two before removing to racks to cool.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin