Thursday, April 9, 2009

Homemade Egg Noodles

This is the recipe I found from cooks.com, because I didn't have the Semolina Flour for Emily's pasta recipe, and I really wanted to make Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup!

Honestly, I went to the store to get celery for the soup and flour for the pasta. I was going to look for frozen noodles, but I forgot, and on the way home I considered using plain old dried egg noodles for the soup. But ultimately I decided to make these noodles, and I'm glad I did.

This is only the second time I have made homemade pasta, and both times were in the same day! I am by no means an expert in this area, but I did it and it was fun, so you should try it too!


Homemade Egg Noodles
Note: for more fussy and exact directions (except for cooking time?), please visit cooks.com. This is what I did, and they turned out great!

2 cups flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 eggs
water (I used about 1/2 cup, which may have been too much)

Mix ingredients in a large bowl. I used a fork, and then my hands. Knead on a floured surface for 15 minutes. (I had to add a lot of flour, which is why I suspect I added too much water initially).

Place dough in a plastic baggie and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes.

Divide dough in half (if making the soup), return unused half to plastic bag and roll out other half as thin as you can get it. My dough was quite stretchy, and I was missing Emily's marble rolling pin, so we had some thicker noodles. Cut noodles with a pizza cutter or a knife.

Add to soup or boiling salted water, cook about 10 minutes or until noodles are done.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin