Saturday, April 25, 2009

Apricot Mixed Berry Spritzer

I believe this recipe came from an Everyday Food magazine, circa 2004, although I've been unable to find it online. I first used it in the Spring that year, when some good friends of mine joined us on the ranch for my birthday dinner.

This spritzer was such a delicious hit that I remember my friend Serena and I mixing up batch after batch all weekend long. Serena still makes and serves this fabulous drink. In fact, I had to ask her for the recipe again when I couldn't find my copy!

White grape juice is a key ingredient, otherwise the spritzer turns out brown. I know this because the teeny tiny grocery store doesn't stock white grape juice, and this time I had to use regular grape juice. The artist in me knew that the purple grape juice mixed with the orange apricot nectar would result in brown spritzer, but my desire for another batch of spritzer was too great to wait for white grape juice. I hope your spritzer is a lovely shade of apricot.

It is important that all the ingredients are chilled, and the berries are frozen. (you can either freeze your own berries separately on a cookie sheet, or buy a bag of frozen berries) This time I used a mixture of strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Unless you are concerned about presentation, such as for a party, you can simply garnish each glass with fruits separately, instead of measuring the entire amount. If serving for a party, use your best punch bowl or a lovely pitcher, and measure out the berries.

Also, I couldn't find seltzer water, so I used club soda instead.


Apricot Mixed Berry Spritzer
Makes 8 cups

2 cups apricot nectar, chilled
2 cups seltzer, chilled
2 cups ginger ale, chilled
2 cups white grape juice
2 cups mixed berries

Freeze berries.

Gently mix liquids together in desired container, punch bowl or pitcher (overzealous mixing will cause the carbonation to go crazy).

Add berries just before serving.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin