Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Greek Lamb with Spinach and Artichokes

This is a recipe I pulled out of a Better Homes and Gardens magazine, I can't remember which month. I've had it in the back of my mind since then, trying to remember to pick up all the ingredients at the store (and waiting to go to a real grocery store to get some orzo since our grocery store doesn't carry it. of course.)

I finally remembered to grab some lamb out of the freezer in town. Of course, when I set out to actually put the recipe in the crock pot this morning, I realized I needed a roast but had grabbed stew meat instead. So our lamb will have some bones in it. I went ahead with the recipe.

The recipe is a "Prize Tested Recipe" and is attributed to Marie Rizzio of Interlochen, MI (very close to my home town! imagine that).

This dish is excellent! It smelled so good cooking all day long, and it was wonderful to come home to dinner that was basically ready. I cooked mine for 8 hours, and it was perfect. I had a problem with the orzo~it's too small to use any of my colanders. I strained it with the lid from the pot, which is always awkward. Oh well. It was a nice accompaniment. At the last minute, I forgot the feta cheese, but I suppose there is always next time, because there will definitely be a next time with this one. Yum!



Greek Lamb with Spinach and Artichokes
Makes 6 servings

2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder roast
1 19-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon minced garlic (6 cloves)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
3 cups fresh baby spinach
3 cups hot cooked orzo (6 ounces uncooked)
Crumbled feta cheese (optional)

1. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat in 1-inch pieces. In a 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker stir together meat, beans, undrained tomatoes, garlic, salt, and oregano.

2. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in drained artichoke hearts and spinach.

3. To serve, spoon lamb mixture over hot cooked orzo. Sprinkle with feta cheese.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin