Sunday, August 31, 2008

Blackberry Yogurt Muffins


Pioneer Woman recently had a dairy recipe contest, and unfortunately NONE of my Fabulous Submissions (Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas, Yoghurt Coffee Cake, Min's Creamy Saffron Vegetable Soup) were selected as finalists. I feel like this is a Serious Oversight, but I suppose with over 2,000 recipes it would be difficult to narrow down the field, but you know what? She is missing out. Especially on the coffee cake (my new favorite!) and the enchiladas. I hope at least one of my recipes made it into the top 75. We'll see. You try them and let me know what YOU think.


So anyway, I'd been craving blueberry muffins, and Pioneer Woman posted a contest finalist blueberry muffin recipe, but I kept forgetting to buy blueberries. Wifey said she had some frozen blackberries I could use, so I made her a deal: trade frozen blackberries for warm muffins. I think we're both winning here.


I used the Pioneer Woman recipe as a starting point, but I've made several changes, so here is my version.


Blackberry Yogurt Muffins

Adapted from a recipe from Ellen F., via pioneer woman.


3 cups minus 2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 generous, heaping cup plain yogurt
2 cups blackberries
1 teaspoon vanilla
Softened butter, for muffin pan
Raw sugar


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter muffin pan.


In a large bowl stir together flour, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.


In another large bowl whisk together sugar, oil, vanilla, egg, and yogurt. Add the dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.


Add blackberries, reserving 1/2 cup, to mixture and gently fold in.


Add mixture to well-buttered muffin pans. Top each muffin with 2 or so berries. Sprinkle raw sugar over top.


Bake 20 to 25 minutes and allow to cool completely.


It's quite possible I need a new muffin tin, either that or I was too anxious to try these luscious muffins. Hard to get out of the pan! I let them cool briefly, and still had to go around each muffin with a knife and gently pry each one out. After cooling completely, it was somewhat easier, but you still need to gently loosen and pry them out with a knife.


They are delicious! Bake some today!

2 comments:

Daphne said...

I made these yesterday. They were delicious minus the bad blackberries I used. The blackberries had a terrible taste, but the rest of the muffin was very good. I posted them on my blog so go check them out! Thanks for the recipe! http://foodjunkiefromtexas.blogspot.com/2010/03/blackberry-yogurt-muffins.html

cristie said...

I made these tonight with blueberries, and they are really good! The change I made was to substitute one cup of the white flour with half whole wheat flour and half almond meal. A little healthier, but the almond meal kept them really moist. I'm not exactly sure what the yogurt did, except for make them extra delicious. :) Thanks for the recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin