Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Pear Crisp

This is a recipe that sounded good to me. Possibly because I'm hungry right now. Or maybe because I am completely enamored with, dare I say it again, this Pear Pie...regardless, I am putting pears on my list (again) and I will make this Pear Crisp and report back, with pictures. The recipe comes from the back of my C&H Brown Sugar package, attributed to Jean Porter.

UPDATE: I made this pear crisp tonight for dinner for 9 people, and it was delicious! I used red pears, dried cherries and pecans, and served it with vanilla ice cream. I will definitely make this again!

Picture some day when I get a new computer!

Pear Crisp

2 pounds ripe pears (4 to 5)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup dried cherries, blueberries or raisins
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup C&H Pure Cane Golden Brown Sugar (you can tell where the recipe came from; just use whatever brown sugar you have!)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
Vanilla ice cream, creme fraiche or whipped cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Half and core pears; slice about 1/2 inch thick. Toss with lemon juice. Combine pears and dried fruit in a 9x13-inch baking dish or shallow casserole of similar size.

In a medium bowl mix butter and flour with a fork or your fingers until crumbly. Mix in rolled oats, brown sugar, nuts and spices. Sprinkle mixture evenly over fruit and press down lightly.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes until pears are tender. (check with the tip of a sharp knife or a pick). Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, creme fraiche or whipped cream, if desired. Makes 6 to 8 servings.


Now, I'm off to eat another slice of...you guessed it, Pear Pie. Then there will only be one slice left. And I will be sad, and yes, I WILL contemplate eating ALL THE REST before my husband gets home instead of sharing the last piece with him. It IS that good. Have you tried it yet??

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin