Spoiler alert: Bags of homemade granola is what I'm giving friends for Christmas. In case you want to do the same, here's the recipe.
Wendy's Granola (a variation of Alton Brown's)
6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups raw whole almonds
2 cups raw sunflower seeds
2 cups sweetened flaked or shredded coconut
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Craisins, optional
1. In a very large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, seeds, coconut, and brown sugar.
2. In a small bowl, combine ncanola oil, honey, extract, and salt.
3. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients in very large bowl.
4. Pour half of the mixture into a roasting pan and place in a 300°F. oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
5. Let cool. Break up any big pieces. Mix in half of Craisins if desired. Store in airtight container.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with second half of granola.
NOTES: Variations: Use other nuts. Add any of the following: ground flaxseed, wheat germ, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, raisins or other dried fruit.
Handy to have a two-cup measuring cup when making this recipe.
One batch fits nicely in a gallon-size freezer bag.