Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fettuccine with Peas, Shallots & Herbs

Since soccer practice kept us in town an extra hour this afternoon, I needed a quick dinner. I hadn't made any plans ahead of time. I found this recipe on Real Simple's website, and I honestly can't recommend Real Simple magazine enough.

I didn't have fettuccine so I substituted some kind of curly pasta. I also accidentally overcooked the shallots, but that was the only problem. This recipe is very quick and pretty good. I like cooking the peas with the pasta, it is a shortcut that just makes sense. We always use more Parmesan than recipes call for too.



Fettuccine with Peas, Shallots & Herbs
from Real Simple magazine
Serves 4
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
  • 12 ounces fettuccine (3/4 box)
  • 1 10-ounce package frozen peas
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 shallots, sliced
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1/2 cup grated pecorino or Parmesan (2 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped

Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the peas during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water, drain, and return the pasta and peas to the pot.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

Add the shallots, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.

Toss the pasta and peas with the shallots, ¼ cup of the cheese, and the reserved cooking water.

Fold in the parsley and mint. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese and serve.

4 comments:

fuat gencal said...

Çok leziz, çok güzel ve iştah açıcı görünüyor. Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık.

Saygılar.

Min said...

teşekkür ederim, Fuat!

(I hope that says thank you!)

Chris said...

You cracked me up with "some kind of curly pasta" because I don't know most of the names either. So many times I see a fancy name in a title and think, "What kind of exotic ingredient is THAT" only to find out..."Oh, that's pasta."

Great looking dish Min.

Min said...

Thanks Chris! I recognize most of the pasta names when I see them, but just didn't feel like digging the pasta bag out of the garbage to see what kind it was!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin