Thursday, April 29, 2010

Paul's Grilled Cabbage

~~~~~~~
**I wrote this post on my actual birthday, April 9,
but couldn't get the pictures to load.
So here it is, 20 days later!!**

~~~~~~~


I know what you're thinking, because I was thinking the same thing. It just sounds sort of nasty, right? My mom mentioned it yesterday on the phone, one of my parents' friends in Florida was bringing some over for dinner. Okay then, whatever. (I do like raw cabbage, but I'm not a fan of cooked cabbage, unless it's in my Corned Beef & Cabbage)

But then today, when I talked to my dad, he was kind of raving about the cabbage. And describing it to me in detail, telling me exactly how to make it. He said they dug in with forks when Paul arrived, then had more with dinner. He said my mom (who doesn't really like cabbage) liked it a lot. He said it had bacon in it. I grabbed a pencil.

I've never met Paul, but I know for a fact that he thinks I'm hot. He told me so on the phone last year. So despite his advanced years, I guess he gets a point for that one. Sort of. And if he can cook too, well that's a bonus. (Little does he know, I don't generally look like a model. Just the one time when I was actually modeling. Generally I look like I could use a shower, a nap, or at least a hairbrush! Haha.)

So I figured this would go great with the grilled steaks we're planning to have for my birthday dinner tonight. Did I tell you I'm 40 today? I know it's unbelievable.

I don't have any measurements, but when you're grilling you should feel free to wing it a bit. That's what I do.



Paul's Grilled Cabbage. With Bacon.

1 head of cabbage, sliced in 6-8 wedges (core and all)
12-16 slices of bacon (I'm using thick bacon, so I'm using 6-8 slices)
butter, softened
minced garlic (I used garlic powder)
salt
pepper (I forgot about the pepper)


Preheat your grill to low. (I used a grill pan because my grill is still over at the bunkhouse).


Cut rectangles of aluminum foil that can be wrapped around an upright cabbage wedge. Place 1 or 2 strips of bacon in the middle of each piece of foil, then perch a cabbage wedge on top. Standing up.

Spread about 1 tablespoon or so of butter on the top of each wedge (or if you don't have softened butter, you can balance a slice of butter on top of the cabbage wedge. I'm speaking from experience, of course). Sprinkle each wedge with minced garlic and salt, or garlic salt (or garlic powder + salt). Grind some fresh pepper of each wedge.


Carefully wrap up each wedge, starting by bringing the long edges to the top above the wedge and folding down securely, then folding the edges in securely as well to make little packets of cabbage and bacon that will remain standing up. (If your foil just isn't big enough, cut a new piece. Don't feel badly, I had to do it too).

Place each packet on the grill, bacon side down, and grill over low heat for 1 hour. Carefully unwrap and serve! The cabbage will be perfectly cooked, not too mushy, and the flavors are wonderful.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

This dish immediately became a favorite of ours when Paul brought it over for supper. Even if you aren't fond of cooked cabbage I bet you'll like this! Couldn't be simpler to make either!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin