Friday, April 2, 2010

Charlotte Malakoff aux Fraises [Almond Cream with Fresh Strawberries]


I was looking for a quick dessert to serve to the girls in our book club, to round out the menu with Râpée Morvandelle and Salad with Sauce Vinaigrette. This almond cream with fresh strawberries sounds like it will fit the bill beautifully.

I have opted to not use ladyfingers, as Julia said I could. She wrote, "If you cannot buy [ladyfingers], or have not the time to make them, omit the ladyfingers altogether and turn the almond cream into a ring mold [not]...or into a serving dish, or into individual dessert cups." Individual dessert cups I can do. She continues, "Although the dessert cannot then be called a charlotte Malakoff, it will still be delicious, and can be nicely decorated with fresh strawberries."

I wish she had said what it would be called...I have no idea, so I'm still calling it Charlotte Malakoff. I won't go into detail about the molding/unmolding and all the directions for the inclusion of ladyfingers because that's not how I'm making mine. I'll just tell you how I'm serving these, and call it good. And hopefully delicious!

I love this dessert. Everyone loved this dessert. It is so creamy, yet light, and just so good and beautiful.



Charlotte Malakoff aux Fraises
Almond Cream with Fresh Strawberries-a cold dessert
For 8 to 10 people

Preparing strawberries: Hull 1 quart fresh strawberries. Wash them quickly if necessary, and set on cake rack to drain thoroughly. Thinly slice about half the strawberries. (my addition)

The almond cream:

1/2 pound softened unsalted butter
1 cup sugar (preferably the very finely granulated" instant type)
1/2 cup orange liqueur
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/3 cups pulverized almonds

2 cups chilled whipping cream
a chilled bowl
a chilled beater

Cream butter and sugar together for 3 to 4 minutes, until pale and fluffy. Beat in orange liqueur and almond extract. Continue beating for several minutes until sugar is completely dissolved. Beat in the almonds.

Whip the cream until the beater, drawn across the top of the cream, leaves light traces. Fold the cream into the almond and butter mixture.

Divide a third of the almond cream into individual serving dishes. Neatly top each dish of almond cream with a layer of sliced strawberries. Repeat with another layer of almond cream and sliced strawberries, and finish with the almond cream. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.

Just before serving, top each dish with a couple whole strawberries, husk end down.

**I had planned to top each dish with whole strawberries, but mine were just too big. I sliced all the strawberries and arranged one whole sliced berry on top of each dessert dish.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You can call it faux Charlotte, then it will rhyme with the aux fraises. :-). Sounds yummy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin