Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Herbed French Dip Sandwiches

Who doesn't love a French Dip? The other day, I was flipping through a little recipe booklet called "Slow Cooker Specialties" from Taste of Home books, and noticed this recipe for a French Dip. I just happen to have some beef roasts in the freezer, so I thawed one.

I have to admit here that I'm not a huge fan of Taste of Home. I think they generally take too many shortcuts, and a lot of the recipes just aren't great. I think I probably got the booklet along with a "free trial" of a cookbook which was promptly returned. Some people do like the Taste of Home series. Just not me. =)

This morning, I threw the ingredients together, and had it going before 7AM. Super easy, and it smells great so far, I just hope it tastes good!


...the verdict is dismal.

I said in the comments "There's not much that's more disappointing than a mediocre French dip." If only I had known. There is so much wrong with this recipe it's hard to know where to begin...

Do you know what happens when you cook soy sauce (plus an extra cube of bouillon!) for 10 hours in a crock pot? It is reduced to nothing more than pure sodium. And they suggest you dip your sandwich in it? Well, after 10 hours in soy sauce, the beef is so dry that you simply MUST DIP IT in something, so desperate is your body for assistance in chewing and swallowing. Not to mention the shredded beef is just the wrong texture for a true French Dip...

I don't think the recipe is beyond HOPE...the flavor of the beef is pretty good, it's just too dry and there's nothing delicious in which to dip it. It's a darn good thing we had some Redd Ranches Famous BBQ Sauce left in the fridge!

Don't try this at home. My opinion of Taste of Home has yet to be swayed.



Herbed French Dip Sandwiches
Yield: 12 servings

1 lean beef roast (3 to 4 pounds)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 beef bouillon cube
1 bay leaf
3 to 4 whole peppercorns
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Hard rolls or French bread

Remove and discard all visible fat from roast. Place in a slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, bouillon and spices; pour over roast. Add water to almost cover roast. Cover and cook over low heat for 10-12 hours or until meat is very tender.

Remove meat; reserve cooking juices. Shred meat with two forks. Serve on hard rolls or French bread slices. Serve cooking juices as a dipping sauce.

2 comments:

Bob said...

Tease. :p

Min said...

I just hope it tastes as good as it smells! There's not much that's more disappointing than a mediocre French dip!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin