Thursday, March 25, 2010

Brussels Sprouts and Hazelnuts

You probably remember when my son was starting 1st grade, and I sort of freaked out and got a bunch of "fast" cookbooks for weeknights. Well, this is one of the winners. So far every recipe has been great. And fast. That's probably why they named it Great Food Fast.

Tonight, I had some Brussels sprouts we needed to use up. And we also happened to have some hazelnuts around (this is rare because although we love them, you can't buy them around here). So this recipe was a perfect accompaniment to our Turkey Burgers. (the burgers are something new the boys are excited to try)

One boy loves Brussels sprouts. One boy does not. (but I bet he would if he tried!) Number One and I thought these were tasty. (even if I left off the salt and pepper)

The camera battery was dead~sorry no picture today! They were bright green, speckled with nuts!

Brussels Sprouts and Hazelnuts
Serves 4

1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and scored
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons chopped blanched hazelnuts
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

In a large skillet over medium heat, bring 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts; reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 20 minutes (add more water if the pan becomes dry).

Uncover; raise the heat to medium-high, and cook until the water has evaporated. Add the butter and hazelnuts; cook until the nuts are fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

3 comments:

Bob said...

I've never been a big brussel sprout fan. My girlfriend is however, I'll have to make this for her.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I have not seen a single brussels sprout on this entire island...

Paradise indeed!

Megan said...

I'm giddy with anticipation. I know, I really need to get something else in my life.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin