Saturday, December 12, 2009

Orange Rosemary Roasted Turkey

Can't believe I forgot to post this recipe from our Thanksgiving dinner! This turkey would also make a lovely Christmas dinner extra special.

This was the highlight of our holiday table, moist and delicious and perfect. Everyone loved the turkey. It was so easy to get ready. I had already made Homemade Gravy the day before, so I didn't have to mess with preparing gravy while everyone was waiting for dinner. The next time, I will definitely try the Orange Rosemary Gravy (recipe soon!). I had actually planned on making it after dinner, but I was so tired that I simply forgot, and then I fell asleep and then it was too late. Next time!

I did add a can of broth before I put the turkey in the oven, honestly I think it could have used another half-can or more.


Orange Rosemary Roasted Turkey
Hands-on time: 15 minutes Total time: 3 hours, 40 minutes (includes resting) Serves 8 (with leftovers)

2 onions, cut into wedges
2 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
8 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 small oranges, halved
1 12- to 14-pound turkey, giblets removed (our turkey weighed over 18 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (if needed)~I added 1 can of broth to the pan before roasting
Fresh fruit and herbs for garnish (optional)

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large roasting pan, scatter the onions, carrots and 2 sprigs of rosemary; place 4 orange halves in the corners of the pan, cut side up.

Stuff the turkey with the remaining 6 sprigs of rosemary and 2 orange halves. Tie the legs together with twine and tuck the wings underneath the body. Place the turkey on top of the vegetables, brush with the oil, and season with 1 teaspoon salt.

Roast the turkey until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees F, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (Cover the bird loosely with foil if it browns too quickly and add the broth to the pan if the vegetables begin to scorch.)

Carefully tilt the turkey to empty the juices from the cavity into the pan. Transfer the turkey to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for at least 25 minutes before carving. Garnish with the fruit and herbs, if using. Reserve the pan and its contents for the Orange-Rosemary Gravy.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin