Sunday, February 1, 2009

Jalapeno Cornbread

My husband bought me a cookbook on his trip to Montana last year. This recipe is from that book titled, Big Sky Cooking by Meredith Brokaw & Ellen Wright. I made it to go with the Chicken Chili recipe from the same book.

I've been looking for a good cornbread recipe that is easy, moist and slightly sweet. Well here it is! I also made a batch without the jalapeno for those that wanted. Both came out fabulous.

Here's what you'll need...

1-cup Yellow cornmeal
1-cup All-purpose flour
1/4-cup Sugar
1-Tbs Baking powder
Pinch Kosher salt
3 Large eggs
1-cup Heavy cream* (See note below)
1/4-cup Butter, melted (1/2 stick)
1-cup Fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/3-cup Grated sharp white cheddar cheese
1 Small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  • Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
  • In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix with a fork.
  • Stir in the eggs, cream and melted butter.
  • Fold in the corn, cheese and jalapeno pepper until well distributed.
  • Spoon the batter into the prepared baking dish.
  • Bake approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
*I didn't have heavy cream. I used 2% milk and added a little extra melted butter. Everything came out just fine.



3 comments:

Min said...

This sounds great! We'll have to try it.

I've also used the milk + butter substitution for heavy cream, or evaporated milk works as well.

Anonymous said...

My dear Bad Girl, even if you've found a cornbread you love, anyone who's been searching for cornbread deserves options! May I ask my publisher to send you a review copy of my latest book, THE CORNBREAD GOSPELS (http://www.amazon.com/Cornbread-Gospels-Crescent-Dragonwagon/dp/0761119167). If you'd like one (and no review, positive or other, is required or expected), just e me your snailmail address. I'm at crescent@dragonwagon.com.

Yours for the golden crumb,

cd

Min said...

We are always up for new recipes! Can't wait to check out your book. Thanks for visiting.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin