Friday, February 6, 2009

Grace's Sourdough Gingammonbread

Grace has discovered the most innovative uses for her sourdough starter. I'm so fortunate our paths have crossed...whenever I need inspiration for ole Virgil, off to Grace's blog I go. This morning, I fed Virgil because I felt like he looked a bit hungry, but I didn't have a real plan for him. We have plenty of bread, so that was out, even though I really felt like making some. Then I found this recipe. (follow the link and read Grace's account!)

I love molasses, cinnamon, ginger...I had to have some. I just wasn't sure about the lemony glaze, so I didn't make any. I prefer mine with a dollop of whipped cream. Too bad we are all out! The cake is moist and delicious, and wonderful warm-from-the-oven!

*If you have been waiting for an excuse to make sourdough starter, this would be the one!


Sourdough Gingammonbread

1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup sourdough starter

For icing (optional):
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons water, if needed

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease up a 8x8-inch baking dish or mini loaf pan.

In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter. Add the molasses and egg, beat until well blended, and set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and blend in the hot water to form a sort of dough. Beat the doughy stuff into the creamed mixture like there's no tomorrow. (I used my Kitchenaid). Gradually add your starter, mixing carefully to maintain a bubbly batter.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until the toothpick test is passed. I had to bake mine for 45 minutes before it was done~could be an altitude issue, let me know how it works for you!

For the icing, whisk the lemon juice into the powdered sugar and gradually add the water, if needed. Spread over the cooled gingammonbread and try to let it set before cutting.

2 comments:

grace said...

this is definitely one of my favorite eb-recipes--i'm glad you tried it! next time i hope you have some whipped cream to make it even better. :)

Min said...

I think this is the best gingerbread I've ever had. Honestly.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin