Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich

We've been on a Pioneer Woman kick recently, basically living on our variation of Bacon-Wrapped JalapeƱos. Not that it's a huge or innovative variation, I just use thick bacon while she uses thin. (you should use thick too--trust me) Anyway, I can't tell you how many bags of those I have in the freezer right now. But oh man, a pan of those things and Coronas seem to be all Number One and I need these days.

The other night, I also made Pioneer Woman's "Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich." Our teeny tiny local grocery didn't have cube steak, but I've befriended the butcher, who ultra-tenderized some other kind of meat for me, and it was great!

I've made these sandwiches several times in the past, and I always just get the deli rolls like she suggests. But Number One had his own ideas about the leftovers, and today he actually gave me a bite. And I just HAVE to tell you about this: Number One found a sourdough loaf called a Jaco, which is kind of like a small French loaf size, in the fridge. He thought it was a bit thick, so he took a slice out of the middle, then he fried it in butter the way you're supposed to.


While I have really, really liked the Marlboro Man sandwich on the deli rolls, I FREAKIN' LOVE the Marlboro Man sandwich on the sourdough. LOVE IT. LOVE. If you make these sandwiches, do try them on sourdough. It gives the sandwich just a little bit of a tangy kick that pushes it over the top. I'm not kidding. And yes, there are bites taken out of the sandwich in the picture. Couldn't wait.

Marlboro Man’s Number One's Favorite Sandwich (on Sourdough)

2 to 3 pounds cube steak (tenderized round steak that’s been extra-tenderized), thinly sliced against the grain
1 large onion OR 2 small/medium onions, thinly sliced
1 sourdough Jaco loaf, cut in four sections (with slices out of the middles to decrease thickness)
Butter
Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
Worcestershire Sauce
Tabasco

-Cook onions over medium-low heat in 1/4 stick butter until soft and light brown. Remove and set aside.
-Season meat generously with Lawry’s.
-Heat 2 TBSP butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown.
-Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.
-Add 1/2 cup (at least) Worcestershire sauce, 5 to 6 shakes Tabasco, and 2 TBSP butter. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.
-Butter halved sourdough and brown on skillet.
-To assemble, lay bottom half of sourdough on plate. Place meat mixture on bread, followed by a spoonful or two of juice from the pan. Top with other half of roll, and serve.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin