Saturday, June 21, 2008

Herbed-Baked Eggs

I've been wanting some good eggs lately, and I've been thinking of all the different ways to serve them. I wish there was a diner around here. Since there's not, here is a delicious method.

I don't know that I've ever mentioned how much I love Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. I saw her years ago, before she was very famous, on Martha Stewart's TV show. She was so warm and down-to-earth, and her food was fabulous! I have since acquired two or three of her cookbooks, and I love them all. You can find Ina's cookbooks here or purchase signed copies from her website (this I did not know...hmm. there are several I don't have...) Or, you can just come back here, where I share my favorite recipes!

This recipe comes from Barefoot in Paris. I got individual gratin dishes for Christmas one year (thanks, Mom!) just for making these eggs. I'm sure you can use other oven-safe dishes, just adjust the cooking time.

{picture soon!}


Ina says: "Lots of people who knew I was writing a French cookbook wanted a recipe for omelettes. I spent days making them but my heart was never really in it because I always imagined myself cooking lunch while my friends sat waiting at the table. Rori Trovato came up with the perfect solution--shirred eggs, or herb-baked eggs. They were so delicious that we were standing with our forks ready as soon as Quentin took this photograph. It's very French and you can make them with any seasoning you like."

Herbed-Baked Eggs

Serves 4

1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
12 extra-large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Toasted French bread or brioche, for serving

Preheat the broiler for 5 minutes and place the oven rack 6 inches below the heat.

Combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley and Parmesan cheese and set aside. Carefully crack 3 eggs into each of 4 small bowls or teacups (you won't be baking them in these) without breaking the yolks. (It's very important to have all the eggs ready to go before you start cooking).

Place four individual gratin dishes on a baking sheet. Place 1 tablespoon of cream and 1/2 tablespoon of butter in each dish and place under the broiler for about 3 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Quickly, but carefully, pour 3 eggs into each gratin dish and sprinkle evenly with the herb mixture, then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place back under the broiler for 5 to 6 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are almost cooked. (Rotate the baking sheet once if they aren't cooking evenly). The eggs will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven. Allow to set for 60 seconds and serve hot with toasted bread.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin