Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tofu Burgers



Okay okay...   I know what you're thinking.  "TOFU burgers?!?!?   Gross."  So wrong!!!  These tofu burgers are from the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca NY.  The Moosewood is a famous vegetarian restaurant and I've sampled several of their dishes...  all excellent.   I got the recipe from Vegetarian Times.

I usually serve these burgers as the recipe suggests:  on whole wheat sandwich rolls with tomato, lettuce and Russian dressing.  For the kids, I stuff it into pita bread.  Slightly less messy for them.  The recipe serves 8 so I usually freeze half of the patties prior to baking.  These tend to be a bit time consuming to make but SO well worth it.  It's nice to be able to take them out of the freezer and have them on a weekday.

A couple notes about the recipe...  It calls for 2 Tbs of miso.  If you can find miso, more power to you.  I've never been able to find it so I never add it.  Tastes perfectly fine to me. 

I'll be making these tomorrow night so I'll post a picture if I remember!

What you'll need...

2 packages of firm tofu
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 cups diced onion
1 cup peeled grated carrots
1 cup diced bell peppers
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried dill
2/3 cups chopped walnuts
1 cup plain bread crumbs
2 Tbs tahini
2 Tbs light miso
2 Tbs soy sauce
1-2 Tbs Dijon mustard (optional)

1)  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray

2)  Sandwich tofu between two plates, and rest a heavy weight on the top plate.  Press for about 15 minutes, draining the liquid occasionally.

3)  Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet and saute onions, carrots, peppers, oregano, basil and dill for about 7 minutes or until veggies are just tender.  

4)  Crumble pressed tofu in a large bowl.  Stir in walnuts, bread crumbs, tahini, miso and mustard if using.  Add sauteed veggies and mix well.  

5)  Use about 3/4 cup of mix per burger.  Form into a pattie and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.  

6)  Bake for about 30 minutes or until burgers are firm and browned.  Serve immediately.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin