Friday, January 18, 2008

Infamous "Neiman Marcus Cookies"


This is an Urban Legend recipe that has been circulating probably longer than there's been an Internet...you have probably heard it: Some lady having lunch at Nieman Marcus, asked for their cookie recipe and ended up getting charged $250 for it. Circulating the recipe is her way of getting even. (I just found it online, link above! It's at least 50 years old, the dessert and the confectioner change while the story remains the same)

Regardless of where it came from, it makes a darn good cookie. I am posting it here just in case I ever lose the version I have on paper. I'm going to make some today. You should try them too!

(Recipe may be halved) *Recipe should be halved. My Kitchenaid mixer couldn't handle it, and it makes a boatload of cookies. I have four dozen in the freezer, and untold dozens more to give away-and I made the cookies fairly big.*

5 cups blended oatmeal ***
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
24 oz. chocolate chips
1-8 oz. Hershey bar (grated)
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

***Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts.

Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees F. Makes 112 cookies.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin