Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Butternut Pie



I know what you're thinking...  what the hell is it with Shell and butternut squash?!?!?  I do love it.  This is a slight variation on the infamous Pumpkin Pie.  I didn't have pumpkin once so I used a fresh squash.  It was great!  I got this recipe off the back of a Borden's Sweetened Condensed Milk can.  The recipe calls for pumpkin which you can obviously use too!  You could also substitute sweet potatoes!   

What you'll need...

2 cups of pre-baked squash (or pumpkin/sweet potatoes)
1 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs  
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 salt
1 9-inch pie shell (I sometimes use a Pillsbury Pie Crust)

** Bake a squash at 400 for about one hour, until a knife pierces it easily.  Cut in half, scoop out the seeds and pull the peel off.  Put 2 cups aside to cool.  Refrigerate the rest for later use.

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend smooth.  Pour into pie shell and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 40-60 minutes until knife comes out clean.    

1 comment:

Min said...

That was my exact thought, Shell! "What the hell is it with the squash?!" Funny.

I have made squash pie before too. Passed it off as pumpkin, no one ever guessed!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin