Was inspired to try this recipe after a good friend make public her addiction to mass-produced chile con queso eaten straight from the jar. After reading the ingredients on one of those jars, I can't imagine going any other route than using the recipe below when a craving hits.
Chile Con Queso
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup half-and-half
1 pound grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup or 7-ounce can diced green chiles
16 ounces tortilla chips
1. Melt butter in medium saucepan.
2. Sauté onion and garlic in melted butter over medium heat.
3. Add flour and cook 1 minute.
4. Add half-and-half and stir until somewhat thickened.
5. Add grated cheese and stir until melted.
6. Stir in green chiles.
7. Serve hot in chafing dish or in 2-quart Crockpot with bowl of tortilla chips.
NOTE: Easy, quick, and delicious! I didn’t bother to drain the canned green chiles when using them.