Haseelbackpoteter (Norwegian Roasted Potatoes)
5 pounds oval, medium-sized baking potatoes
6 tablespoons butter, melted
¾ pound Jarlsberg cheese, coarsely grated
1. Lightly butter a nonmetal 9x13-inch baking pan.
2. Peel each potato and then drop it into a large bowl of cold water to prevent discoloration.
3. One at a time, fish out each potato and dry it with a clean terrycloth dishtowel. Place the potato lengthwise on a large wooden spoon and make 1/8-inch-thick slices, stopping about ½-inch from cutting all the way through the potato. Then place the potato, sliced side up, in the buttered baking pan.
4. Brush the potatoes with most of the melted butter, and then sprinkle with salt.
5. Cover pan tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil, and place in 425°F oven for 30 minutes.
6. Remove potatoes from oven and brush with remaining melted butter.
7. Bake potatoes 15 more minutes.
8. Remove potatoes from oven and top with grated cheese and then sprinkle with paprika.
9. Return to oven uncovered and bake 5 more minutes or until potatoes are done.
NOTE: I ground smoked black pepper over potatoes after salting them.
Saturday, December 8, 2012
Cooked up by Wendy D. at 7:26 PM