Monday, April 11, 2011

Roasted Chicken with Cauliflower and Chickpeas


This recipe comes from the latest issue of Everyday Food magazine. It sounded great, and easy, so when I found out my father-in-law and his friend were coming to stay with us for the night, I decided to make this for dinner.




I doubled the recipe, using two whole chickens. I was able to fit it all on the sheet pans I have, except for one chicken wing I ended up throwing out. Transferring the chicken to another pan and tossing the vegetables on the first one may sound (and feel) awkward at first, but trust me, it is worth it and not much trouble! And actually it was quite a simple recipe.




I put part of the vegetables with the chicken for serving, and the rest on their own platter. Everyone loved the chicken, and the roasted vegetables were a savory, delicious touch. I had prepared a salad, but I didn't eat any because I was so wrapped up in the chicken and roasted vegetables. The cauliflower was tender-crisp and nutty, the onions were just sweetened and soft, the garbanzo beans were a nice contrast, and the tomatoes were colorful little bursts of flavor! The meal received many compliments, even into the next day!




We ate the leftovers last night. Although the cauliflower was amazing cold, I warmed it all up on a sheet pan for dinner. Delicious yet again, and the chicken was even crispier. I am definitely making this fabulous meal when my parents come to visit!



Incidentally, if you ever see a bottle of this wine, buy it. It is excellent, and we honestly have no idea how it ended up in our wine fridge. Now I'm on a quest to find more!




Roasted Chicken with Cauliflower and Chickpeas

Serves 4
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour

Roasting the chicken on a preheated pan saves time and helps the meat brown. You don't need to add oil to the vegetables; they cook in drippings from the chicken.

1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), rinsed, patted dry and cut into 9 pieces (I bought a pre-cut chicken and rinsed and dried it)
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1 small head cauliflower, cored and cut into 2-inch florets
1 large red onion, cut into wedges
1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Place a rimmed baking sheet in oven and preheat to 450 degrees F, with racks in upper and middle thirds. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Carefully remove sheet from oven and arrange chicken, skin side up, in a single layer. Roast on upper rack, 20 minutes.

Remove chicken from oven and, with tongs, transfer to another rimmed baking sheet along with tomatoes. Add cauliflower, onion and chickpeas to drippings on first sheet and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Roast chicken on upper rack and vegetables on middle rack until chicken is golden and cooked through and cauliflower is tender when pierced with a knife, about 30 minutes. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a serving dish and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I loved this! Next time I will use foil over the pans for easier cleanup, and maybe cook it for 5 minutes less. I should have checked it earlier and my chickpeas were very crunchy. Still great, though!

Also I sprinkled a little garam masala and garlic powder over the chicken before baking. I think you could experiment with the spices.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin