I make a single batch for just myself. Typically, I eat three muffins the first day and finish the batch over the next couple of days. I eat the muffins warm or at room temperature. I eat them without butter or jam. However, I have eaten them with a slice of Cheddar cheese.
This is a good recipe for kids to try and, if they like the results, to add to their personal cookbook of recipes kept in a binder.
Wendy’s Bran Muffins
1 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together bran, all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.
2. Add walnuts and stir.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg.
4. Add buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to beaten egg; beat well.
5. Make well in dry ingredients and pour combined wet ingredients into well.
6. Stir gently only enough to moisten dry ingredients.
7. Divide batter evenly among eight greased or paper-lined regular-sized muffin tins.
8. Bake in 375°F. oven for 12 to 14 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.