WINE-BRAISED SHORT RIBS
½ pound chopped bacon
1 ½ pounds boneless beef short ribs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons snipped fresh parsley leaves
2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
2 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary leaves
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups beef broth
1 ½ cups Syrah or other hearty red wine
1. In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Then transfer to 4-quart Dutch oven.
2. While bacon is cooking, season short ribs with salt and pepper.
3. Sprinkle short ribs with parsley, oregano, and rosemary.
4. In skillet, brown short ribs in bacon grease. Then transfer ribs to Dutch oven.
5. Add chopped onions, carrots, and celery to skillet and sauté over medium-high heat until vegetables begin to brown.
6. Add beef broth and wine to skillet and bring to a boil.
7. Pour contents of skillet into Dutch oven.
8. Cover the Dutch oven with a piece of parchment paper and then the pan’s lid.
9. Cook in 325°F. oven for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is tender.
10. Transfer the short ribs to a platter
11. Strain what remains in Dutch oven. Then skim fat from sauce and boil over high heat until reduced to 2 cups.
12. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over short ribs and serve.
NOTE: Serve with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable, such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or green beans.