Three-Cheese Mac and Cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni
8 tablespoons butter, divided
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 pound white Cheddar, shredded
4 ounces Asiago, shredded
4 ounces Romano, shredded
1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- In 7- or 8-quart pot filled with 5 quarts boiling salted water, cook macaroni until barely al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- In same pan dried, melt 6 tablespoons butter.
- Sprinkle flour over butter and cook 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, whisking to form roux.
- Add cold milk gradually, whisking vigorously until white sauce is smooth.
- Cook sauce on medium-low heat until thick and bubbly, whisking occasionally.
- Whisk in cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir in Cheddar, Asiago, and Romano. Cook over medium heat until cheeses are fully melted, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon.
- Stir in cooked and drained macaroni.
- Place in lightly buttered 13x9-inch baking dish.
10. In 1-quart saucepan over the stove or in 1-quart bowl in microwave, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
11. Add breadcrumbs to melted butter and mix well to make topping.
12. Sprinkle topping over macaroni and cheese.
13. Bake in 325°F oven for about 15 minutes.
14. Then place pan under broiler until breadcrumbs turn golden brown.
NOTE: Experiment adding some depth to this recipe by taking half a peeled onion and sticking a few cloves of garlic and a bay leaf in natural or knife-made slits in onion. Add this onion to the white sauce between steps 4 and 5 and then remove it before adding the cream, between steps 5 and 6. Discard onion.