Clam Chowder Darling
8 strips of bacon, optional
4 medium-sized red potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
3 tablespoons butter or bacon fat
2 small onions, very finely chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 6-ounce cans minced clams, undrained
2 cups bottled clam juice
1 teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup heavy cream at room temperature
1 cup regular whipping cream at room temperature
Salt and white pepper to taste
Parsley, snipped, for garnish
1. If using bacon, sauté bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Then transfer to a double thickness of paper towels to drain.
2. Boil chopped potatoes in water for about 4 minutes. Use 4- or 5-quart pan, but only use as much water as you need. When finished, drain potatoes and remove from pan. Wipe pan dry to use for next step.
3. Melt butter or bacon fat in the same pan used for the potatoes.
4. Sauté onions on medium heat until tender.
5. Stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes.
6. Crumble the cooked bacon into the pot. Also add undrained clams, clam juice, basil, thyme, heavy cream, regular cream, and cooked potatoes.
7. Bring to a gentle simmer. Gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
8. Season with salt and white pepper.
9. Serve hot with a bit of snipped parsley sprinkled on the top.