Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sesame Chicken

I decided since we don't have a Chinese restaurant in town (I know, I can't believe it either!), I would search for a good recipe for Sesame Chicken.  I decided to try a recipe posted on about.com.  I didn't change the marinade for the chicken, which turned out fabulous.  I did make a few changes to the sauce, which I will note below, namely reducing the sugar by HALF.  Of course I couldn't find chili paste, so I had to improvise.  Please follow the link above for the original recipe.  I feel like the sauce needs a little something extra, not sugar!  When I identify it, I'll let you know.

For now, this recipe satisfied the cravings of three out of four family members.  Unfortunately, Sawed Off is the one who LOVE LOVE LOVES Sesame Chicken, and he did NOT love this rendition.  So the work continues to bring you a Sawed Off-approved Sesame Chicken.

However, if you're in the mood for Chinese, and don't have delivery, make this instead.



Sesame Chicken
Adapted from about.com
Serves 3-4

3 whole boneless chicken breasts  (ours were about 1 pound each)

Marinade: 
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
a few drops of sesame oil
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Sauce: 
1/2 cup water
1 cup chicken broth
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons chili sauce
a few drops hot sauce
1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
 3 1/2 - 4 cups peanut oil for deep-frying

Lightly toast the sesame seeds and set aside.

Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Mix the marinade ingredients and marinate the chicken for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, make the sauce.  In a saucepan, mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn the heat down to low and keep warm while you are deep-frying the chicken.

Heat the peanut oil.  When oil is hot, add the marinated chicken pieces a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remainder of the chicken. Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.

Place the chicken on a large platter and top with the sauce. (I didn't use all the sauce)  Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice, if desired.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin