Monday, September 10, 2012

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

So you probably know, I joined the The Secret Recipe Club.   It is a secret blog assignment, where you are set off into another foodie's blog alone, and no one else is supposed to know.  Someone else all together gets to peruse your blog.  We'll all find out who had which blog on the same day and time.

Without further ado, my assignment for the Secret Recipe Club this month was:



Shortly after I started looking at Shumaila's blog, it was an clear contest between Toasted Coconut Ice Cream and Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I fully intend on making the Toasted Coconut Ice Cream this week, but between canning and a weekend trip, I decided to make the cookies.  And take them with us on our trip, of course!

They are delicious.  I didn't have patience to brown the butter, but I did melt it for quite a while.  I also used two kinds of chocolate chips.  I can't tell you how many the recipe made, because everyone was eating them straight out of the oven!


Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter
1cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips/chunks (I used a mix of semi-sweet and milk chocolate)
sea salt, for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking trays with parchment paper.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, whisking frequently. Whisk till the butter turns a little light brown. Takes about 5- 8 mins. Let cool to room temperature.

Add melted butter to both sugars in a mixing bowl and stir until smooth.  Stir in the eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and kosher salt. Add the dry ingredient to the sugar-butter mix until just combined.  Let cool completely.

Once completely cool, fold chocolate chips in the batter. Scoop 2 tablespoon-size portions onto the tray and flatten slightly. Sprinkle with sea salt.

Bake for 8-10 minutes and remove from the oven. Cool on tray a few minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.


Secret Recipe Club

8 comments:

Andrea Kruse said...

Yum! Another amazing looking recipe.

Just wanted to know I was assigned your blog this month and made your fabulous Chicken Chasseur! Have a great week. Happy cooking!

Shumaila said...

I am so glad you liked them.:) In fact I have a batch of them in the freezer and was thinking of baking it today!

Hezzi-D said...

I love brown butter cookies! These look so delicious!

shelley c. said...

Is there anything better than a good chocolate chip cookie? Oh yes - chocolate chip cookiess made with brown butter! These cookies look great.

Unknown said...

you had me at butter. the cookies look delicious.

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

I love a good chocolate chip cookie - I bet the browned butter adds some great flavor.

Unknown said...

Chocolate Chip Cookies are always a good choice. :)

Miz Helen said...

I just pinned your awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing and have a great day.
Miz Helen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin