Saturday, July 14, 2012

Rustic Cherry Apricot Galette

So I had glanced at Tamy's Apricot Cherry Galette when it was posted, enough to know it looked good, then my computer crashed and I had to put it away.

Then I got a text from a friend, saying that we were having a surprise going-away party for one of my cousins the very next morning, and we were supposed to bring something to share for breakfast.  I am in the middle (still) of processing fresh cherries and apricots, so my mind wandered back to the Galette.  I also debated making another Rustic Cherry Tart, but at that point it was already 9:pm and I was tired.  As much as I love that homemade almond paste, I just didn't feel up to it.  Breakfast was scheduled for 7:am, so I had to make something quick, shower and go to bed!

I grabbed my last sheet of puff pastry out of the freezer and thawed it on parchment paper.  (should have used a bit of flour).  I had all the ingredients except cherries for another Sweet Cherry Pie already in a bowl, just waiting to be mixed up and tossed in the freezer.  I decided rather than start a whole new recipe, I'd just improvise.

Here is my delicious Rustic Cherry Apricot Galette.  It was a hit with everyone at my cousin's party!




poorly lit nighttime shot... 
you can see the uneven "rustic" edges

and the remains after breakfast!

Rustic Cherry Apricot Galette
Serves 8-10

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed

3 cups pitted fresh cherries
about 12 apricots, cut in 8ths or roughly chopped (less if they're big, you want over 4 cups of fruit total)
4 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Juice of half a lemon
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon heavy cream

1 tablespoon sugar, for sprinkling

Place pastry sheet on lightly floured parchment on a sheet pan.  When thawed, use a rolling pin to roll it a bit bigger.  Poke holes in the entire crust with a fork.

Gently stir together the cherries, apricots, cornstarch, sugar, salt, lemon and almond extract in a large bowl until well combined.  Set aside.

Mix egg yolk and cream, brush about half of the mixture on the inner part of the pastry sheet, leaving about a two-inch border with no egg wash.  Reserve the rest of mixture.

Using a slotted spoon, remove cherries and apricots to the center of the pastry sheet.  Spread them out, leaving a two-inch border and mounding slightly in the center. Use a tablespoon to remove any liquid that seeps out.

Fold the edges of the pastry over the fruit, gently squeezing the edges together so they stay.  As you work, remove liquid with the tablespoon.  This is kind of messy...but work your way around the entire pastry sheet.  The edges will not be even, and that's okay!  That is why it's called "rustic." Just fold the edges up and over the fruit, snuggling around the fruit.

Place galette in the refrigerator to chill while you preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

When the oven is heated, brush the pastry with the remaining egg wash.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Sprinkle generously with sugar, and bake for about 10 minutes more, until the crust is golden brown.  Some of the juices may leak out, and that's okay too.

I chilled my galette in the fridge overnight, then cut it with a pizza cutter to serve.  You could definitely eat it while it's warm, but I'd let it sit 10 or 15 minutes out of the oven before slicing.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin