Monday, June 18, 2012

Loaded Baked Potato Salad

This recipe came about when I received an email listing "summer salads."  There was a link to a recipe someone had called "Loaded Baked Potato Salad," which I thought sounded great...but when I read through the recipe, it was really a casserole...?! 

What do I mean by "casserole?"  It was a potato dish that was assembled and then BAKED in a 9x13 pan.  Sort of reminiscent of my Twice Baked Potato Casserole, actually.  Totally not a "salad" at all, (salad in my mind means "cold"), and certainly not a dish I would think about serving in the heat of summer. 

I set out to create a true potato salad.

First, I used my grill to bake the potatoes.  I just clean them, rub them with olive oil, then grill on the top rack over medium-ish heat for about one hour, turning over halfway through.  You want them baked but not too soft, keep in mind your grill may cook differently than mine.  Remove potatoes from grill and let cool before chopping, of course. I found that using a serrated knife helps the potatoes hold together better, while keeping the skin pieces intact.

Once salad ingredients are prepped, it's important not to mix it until you've added everything, because the potatoes are a bit fragile.  You want to gently fold the ingredients together.  I used a mixture of sour cream and real mayonnaise because that's what I prefer.  The real mayo adds a bit of flavor you wouldn't get with sour cream alone.  You need to put this salad together ahead of time, and I'd recommend chilling it in the refrigerator for at least an hour or so if you have time.

I have to tell you, this is an amazing potato salad!  Make it for your next barbecue, and everyone will be impressed!  I think the baked potatoes add so much to the flavor compared to a traditional potato salad made with boiled potatoes, that I may actually try to bake all my potatoes for salads from now on.

My family and I loved this potato salad; in fact my oldest son H-Bomb even asked for seconds although he's not a huge potato fan.  It's my new favorite, and I'm going to make more today!


Loaded Baked Potato Salad 
Serves 6 to 8 

6 baked potatoes, skin on
1/2 pound bacon, chopped and cooked until crisp, then drained and cooled on paper towels
3 - 4 scallions, chopped
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste  

Reserve a few pieces bacon, some green onions and cheese to use as garnish.   

Use a serrated knife to gently chop potatoes, leaving skin on.  I cut each potato in quarters lengthwise, before chopping in pieces.  Add to large mixing bowl.  

Add bacon, onions and cheese; do not mix. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix sour cream and mayo.  Add to potato mixture and mix gently with a rubber spatula.  Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  

Before serving, garnish with reserved cheese, bacon and green onions.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin