Throw together this simple casserole. Then, while it is in the oven, make a tossed green salad and slice some strawberries to make a nice, no-stress spring lunch or dinner. Or, make the casserole and serve it for breakfast with scrambled eggs and sliced strawberries.
Hash Brown Casserole
1 26-ounce bag hash browns
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced onion or shallots
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup milk or half-and-half
1/2 cup vegetable, chicken, ham, or beef broth
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine hash browns, shredded cheese, onion, and garlic in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, combine milk, broth, melted butter, salt, and pepper.
3. Pour liquid over hash-brown mixture and stir to combine.
4. Spoon hash-brown mixture into a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
5. Bake in 425°F oven for one hour, stirring at least twice to insure thorough cooking. After baking for one hour, casserole should be golden brown on top. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
NOTE: Diced ham or sliced black olives can be added. Recipe is quick and easy to throw together or to make ahead. Leftovers are even better than original.
I've created this site as a place everyone can come and post their favorite recipes...to share with friends, to encourage experimentation, to enjoy cooking for our families.
It is my hope that each of us will find new family favorites, have some fun, and maybe even learn something in the process! If you try a recipe from this site, please leave a comment on that recipe, let us know how it went, what you loved, what you hated, what you modified, etc! We want to know! Any (non-Spam) comments are welcome!
I look forward to frequent posts from all Bad Girls! I know you're all out there cooking, so tell us what!
If you'd like an invite to post recipes on this blog and become a Bad Girl, please leave a comment here. (include your email address!) Join us!