Thursday, January 21, 2010

Kristen's Banana Cake

When one my partners in crime over at Our Krazy Kitchen posted this recipe for Banana Cake, I just had to try it. Kristen, of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker, hosts What Did You Bake Today every Friday.

She said that her mom used ripe bananas to make this cake instead of banana bread, and get this: She said you can FREEZE the whole cake! Frosting and all, just stick it in the freezer and pull it out when you need a quick dessert.

I am soooo there.

Of course on the day I decide to make this, town is having a blizzard so school was canceled and we've been at the ranch all day. I discover I only have 1 cup of brown sugar and no sour cream. I also discover that school will be canceled again tomorrow, so we won't be back to town until Monday, and these overripe bananas won't last that long. But this cowgirl is nothing if not innovative, so I substituted granulated sugar, molasses and plain yogurt. Yeehaw, back in business!

(If the cake batter is any indication, we are going to be loving this cake. I can't wait! I just wish I had more bananas so I could make another one and freeze it!)
~~~~~
This cake is so delicious! I had to bake mine about 15 extra minutes, but I have altitude issues, plus I didn't take out any liquid to compensate for the added molasses. Regardless it turned out perfectly. It tastes like a spice cake to me, you can't even really taste the bananas.


Banana Cake:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup brown sugar (I was 1/2 cup short, so added 1/2 cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons molasses)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream (I used plain yogurt)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
3 mashed bananas (I didn't mash, just tossed them right in)

Grease an 8x8" square pan; preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar in a mixer. Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream and mix. Combine the dry ingredients and mix into the butter mixture. Add the bananas last and mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. (Note, this cake always falls a bit...don't worry if yours does)

When the cake is completely cooled, frost with Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp butter
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Way to substitute under pressure! I am so glad it turned out for you.

PageRank Check said...

Looks delicious love to try it

Tami said...

This looks scrumptious!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin