Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins

I love muffins, I love buttermilk in baked goods, and I love blueberries. What a great combination. This is another tried and true recipe from the back of a bag of Western Family Flour. If you had a mind to do it, every ingredient could be Western Family Brand. Or not. You decide.

I made these muffins this morning, topping them with chopped pecans and raw sugar. Then I went up to CG's to fix a computer problem, and returned to find only 5 muffins left! The boys ate most of the 10 mini muffins and two additional regular sized muffins, and Number One and CG ate the other 5 regular muffins between them. (to be accurate, I'm pretty sure Number One ate 4 of them). They are tasty little treats, I'm glad I thought to sprinkle the pecans on top.


Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
Min's additions: raw sugar and chopped pecans for sprinkling generously on top

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin or line with paper cups. *I've found with my non-stick muffin tin, I have to always use paper cups or the muffins will burn. I also reduced the temperature to 350 halfway through because my mini muffins (leftover batter) were burning on the edges yet gooey in the middle). I ended up baking the mini muffins for 10 minutes total; the regular muffins were in for 15 minutes total.

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a small bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, sugar, oil and vanilla. Add egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until moistened. Do not over mix. Fold in the blueberries. Divide batter between the muffin cups. Sprinkle liberally with sugar and pecans.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.

Serve warm.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin