Sunday, January 18, 2009

Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chips


I wanted to make some cookies today, to break up the monotony and hard work of moving the contents of our house into the bunkhouse next door. I just couldn't decide what kind. Something hearty, with oats, but not with raisins. I wanted chocolate. I sort of wanted something like Cowboy Cookies, yet different.

I used the "Choose-a-Chip" variation of Oatmeal Cookies from my trusty Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook, added the "optional" spices, plus coconut when I discovered the last of my walnuts were past their prime. The result is scrumptious and satisfying. Enjoy.

*For traditional oatmeal cookies, omit the chocolate chips and nuts and add 1 cup raisins or currants.


Oatmeal Cookies
Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 10 minutes per batch
Makes about 54 cookies

3/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (BH&G says "optional" but I disagree)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (ditto)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans or coconut

1. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Stir in the rolled oats. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts or coconut.

2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. (My dough was quite crumbly, so I pressed it into balls instead). Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool cookies on a wire rack.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin