Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Puree of Green Pea & Mint


For two years in a row, our cousin Devin has made these delicious hors d'oeuvres for us at some point during his and Gina's visit. I love it when Gina & Devin & the girls come visit!

This year, I wasn't too drunk to pay attention while he listed the ingredients. He only told me the names of the ingredients, mind you, not the amounts. So this is my best guess. A pretty good guess if I do say so myself.

This batch turned out a bit mintier than Devin's, but one out of two boys like it so I'm calling it good. If you'd like less minty flavor, just use one sprig. Or maybe don't pluck fresh mint sprigs from your garden two seconds before you make this, which is what I did...

I made an Artisan Bread baguette for this, but you could buy a baguette at the store, if your store sells baguettes. My store does not.

Easy, fast, delicious and even healthy! Make some today! Seriously, I can pack away a lot of these beauties...yum. I used frozen peas, but you can use fresh peas instead. Just blanch them a bit first so the texture will be soft and smooth.



Puree of Green Pea & Mint
Adapted from Devin's creation

Thinly sliced baguette (or crostini if you plan a bit ahead)

14 ounces peas (if frozen, cook according to package directions and let cool)
1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
leaves from 1 to 2 sprigs fresh mint
kosher salt
pepper

Parmesan cheese

Add peas and mint leaves to food processor, along with about 1/4 cup olive oil. Puree until smooth, adding more olive oil as necessary to achieve a nice consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste, I just tossed some in.

Serve a generous dollop of pea puree on top of each baguette slice, topped with a thin slice of Parmesan.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin