Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Ginger Cream Topping


At the last minute, okay, on Monday night before Thanksgiving, Number One and I decided to mix it up this year. In addition to all the pies on the menu, we decided to make a pumpkin cheesecake. Since I can’t seem to find my trusty Philadelphia Brand Cheesecake Cookbook, I turned to another little gem:Southern Living Little Book of Cheesecakes

I believe this book was a “free gift” when I ordered a cookbook from Southern Living. And I don’t know that I have used it before now. But this cheesecake sounded like just the thing.


I substituted crushed gingersnaps for the graham crackers, and used fresh pumpkin puree instead of canned.


This cheesecake is luscious and decadent. I am happy we used gingersnaps in the crust, it gave the cheesecake just the right crunch and extra flavor. I probably would have used less rum in the ginger cream topping, it was just a bit overpowering. But our guests did enjoy the cheesecake. Some of their comments included:


"The cheesecake. Oh my God!"


"I have never had anything like this! It's excellent!"


I didn't get a picture of an individual slice, but the cheesecake standing alone was impressive. It wasn't too difficult to make, even if I was up until 2 in the morning pulling it out of the oven. That's my own fault, and I would do it again in a second. =)





Pumpkin Cheesecake with Ginger Cream Topping

Yield: 1 (9-inch) cheesecake

¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (16-ounce) can pumpkin (I used 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree)
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3 large eggs
Ginger Cream Topping
Garnish: 16 pecan halves

Combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, graham cracker (or gingersnap) crumbs, 1/2 cup pecans, and butter; press into bottom and 1 inch up sides of a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan. Cover and chill 1 hour.

Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, spices, vanilla, salt and pumpkin; set aside.

Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add pumpkin mixture, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 minutes Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

Spoon Ginger Cream Topping over cheesecake. Cover and chill at least 8 hours. To serve, carefully remove sides of pan; garnish cheesecake with pecan halves, if desired.

Ginger Cream Topping
Yield: 3 cups

1 cup whipping cream
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger
3 tablespoons dark rum
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine first three ingredients in a bowl; beat at high speed with a mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in ginger, rum and vanilla.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Just ran across this recipe in my search for something for the camp-out. Everyone likes pumpkin so thought I'd give it a try. I enjoy your cooking blog so much!

Min said...

Be sure you use crushed gingersnaps for the crust instead of graham crackers--you won't be sorry! Let me know what everyone thinks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin